Tuesday 4 January 2011

Apple Cinnamon Buttermilk Cake

It was one Sunday afternoon in December...I can't remember the exact date...we have had lunch...Gulai Jenahak and the kids had happily gone upstairs to do their things.....and while I was cleaning the kitchen, I got a call from our longtime friend Bad (Bad and my task then, when we visited our friends in Nottingham was to do groceries! Bad's best friend and hubby were housemates...) that he and his family were dropping by, not for lunch, but they had not eaten!

So, as requested I made Sambal Sardine (always hv Mr Yeo's sardine in stock) for Bad and decided to give this recipe a shot....it was very humid that day..and I was reminiscing my days in Walpole Road and plucking Sze Mee's (Sze Mee a Malaysian was my landlady) Bramley apples from her garden in summer....

This recipe has buttermilk in it, and that had really attracted me to bake this cake.......the original recipe calls for Raspberry (which I think would be a "killer" but for the price of raspberries here in Malaysia, as I loved raspberries) at pinchmysalt and Gourmet .
Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 salt....I have La Pincee, la la la....
4 tbsp unsalted butter, I used 60g salted Tatura
2/3 sugar, I should have used brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup peeled and chopped baking apple, I used Granny Smith
brown sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle, I only sprinkled brwon sugar and should have sprinkled cinnamon powder as well

Method
1.Set oven at 160C, prepare an 8 inch cake tin.
2.Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamona and salt, set aside.
3.Beat butter and sugar until light and pale. Add egg and vanilla.
4.Add the flour mixture and alternate with buttermilk in two additions.
5.Scatter chopped apples, sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon powder.
6.Bake for about 35 minutes.
Think it is best served with Pastry Cream or ice-cream, but, we couldn't wait for all that...the cake finished in almost a blink...everyone loved it and I will definitely bake this again! It is simple and using all the ingredients available from my kitchen (well, except for buttermilk, which I now have always made my own!) and delicious....try this ya!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

i love apple cake. i love buttermilk! i shall try this sooooon!!! thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Rima said...

Lahhh sekali masuk i dah termiss a few posting hahha.. macam express rakyat kamu ni Yani! hehe.. lovely family pics... I tak pernah bake red velvet cake.. tak tahu apasal..no reason.. just like carrot cake.. tak pernah bake until last year.. nanti akan ku cuba bake red velvet cake someday..

KG said...

june, yes...do it tonight!...and am looking at my diary and weather forecast to show you how to make macarons....i'll contact you!

KG said...

rima, and i like yours....sementara tak bz ni bolehlah i berbake and update my blog...but the wave is cominggggg...tidakkk...

KG said...

daily morning coffee...i also start my day with a cup of coffee!! tq for coming over!

Us said...

Assalam kak KG,
Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe..
So moist and fluffy..really really love it!
Thanks again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails